Monday, October 24, 2011

Entitlement: Stirs Up A Lot Of Contention


Entitlement = belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges; the state or condition of being entitled; a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract.

This word started running through my spirit when I started seeing the contention that often ran through threads on Facebook. Someone starts to write something and then 92 comments later, there are developing arguments, various opinions, defensive postures, and so much more. Here's the deal.

YOU CAN'T SAY EVERYTHING THAT COMES TO YOUR MIND JUST BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE ENTITLED TO SPEAK. YOU ARE NOT GIFTED WITH A SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT TO SPEAK BECAUSE YOU CAN OR BECAUSE YOU FEEL YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK.

I am an expert on this topic. Wow, did I say that? You bet I did. What makes me an expert? I, Debra Westbrook, in seasons past, have been the perpetrator of strife and contention due to a loose tongue. Why? Because I simply felt that I could. Selah.

Well, I can't and neither can you. Sometimes we just have to shut up and submit to a designated word that comes forth without any opinion on our part to debate it, argue over it because we want to prove our point. I am so tired of that and this is simply to perhaps call us into check to walk in wisdom when we speak and speak with wisdom and grace.

There is true designated spiritual authority rising up in the Body of Christ. I know that word 'authority' has been abused and misused but God still moves through designated authority that brings order into a chaotic spiritual house. We are not entitled to speak everything we see or hear. None of us are. Yet, the Internet has raised up many people to perpetrate arguments and disagreements based upon a self-imposed authority to rule, lead and reign with their words. Yet they walk in a misplaced sense of virtue because God has not sent them.

I am not talking about discussion but about contention in this blog I am writing. Discussion is good, very good. I have seen over and over threads start on Facebook where someone truly speaks a word in due season. Then Christian vultures begin to tear and rip it apart in the name of Christ which is truly sad. They debate theological accuracy. They perpetrate doctrinal safeguards that come across with a self-righteous arrogance. What am I saying? I believe this is teaching me to weigh what I say very carefully AND in doing that, God will perform the words I speak when they are His words. I am not afraid of confrontation. I love confrontation when it is from God for in spiritual confrontation. we are changed and challenged to grow. But I do disagree with contention.

I see this as a deep problem right now. What is it? Well, it is many things but one thing I see is the sense of ENTITLEMENT. So many people talking and talking without listening. They feel that they just can say anything. What kind of parents would allow their children to do that? Not us. Not us. There are too many rebellious children in the house of God and 'Spiritual parenting' is needed in wisdom and grace. I see the need for it and I see that is one of the calls on our life. No we are not taking the place of God for right away someone will try to debate whether parenting is needed and challenge these words. I am saying that much wisdom is needed right now and so true spiritual authority and eldership must arise, whatever age, gender, or culture they come from.

Here is a solution to this problem. We want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. We, Marvin and I, have been called by God to walk in this ministry in wisdom and grace. We are in the position of eldership and we walk in that calling. We will work with rebellious people, confrontive people, contentious people, angry people, etc. I have just described a lot of the Body of Christ and not just the world. They simply need to be taught, and listened to and given boundaries and guidelines in how to live a Christian life, loving Christ and taking personal responsibility to walk in His will and His ways. I am excited about this and just wanted to blog about it today. The Body is crying out with deep groaning for leadership to lead. I will do that and now we are seeking those who will follow. That is why we are in Finland to develop this recording studio and so much more - Italy, Poland, Africa.

These are just some words today of what I feel AND I feel this very deeply. Lead on Jesus! I love to stir it up. Always have and always will BUT now I want to do this in wisdom and watch God fulfill His words His way. Hey guys, be quick to listen and slow to speak. When you speak weigh your words and speak with wisdom and grace. Am I saying this? I can see Marvin laughing when he reads this because this is indeed a miracle in my life AND I LIKE IT. Selah. :)

4 comments:

  1. This is so the truth from God. The knowledge can only come from maturity in Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. It needs to begin in the body of Christ so we can be the light we are called to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT WOULD JESUS SAY...............

    SOME SITUATIONS SHOULD NOT PROVOKE US TO SAY BUT TO PRAY (PRAY WE KEEP OUR MOUTHS SHUT)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your message brought this Scripture to mind.
    Proverbs 13:10 By pride and insolence come only contention, but with the well-advised is skillful and godly Wisdom. Amp.

    ReplyDelete