Thursday, March 10, 2011

Discernment - Desparately Needed!

Hebrews 5:14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.  NKJV

Discern = To separate thoroughly; discriminate; judge; to distinguish; to conclude

Let us not check our brains at the door. If you are somewhere or with someone and you just feel that something is not right or does not look right or sound right, then give yourself the credit to realize that real eyes realize real lies and know that God is showing you something at that moment by His Holy Spirit. God has given us His Spirit to discern and to walk in wisdom in an age of massive deception. Discernment shows us through separation that which is of the Spirit from that which is empowered and motivated by that which is demonic. God has given us His Spirit to discern and to be at peace with what we discern. Discernment is the God given means by which we separate thoroughly that which does not line up with the Word or with the Spirit. How do we do this? Discernment comes by knowing our Lord in intimacy, through His Word, worshiping Him in Spirit and in Truth that when the false presents itself, we naturally turn aside and discern because it does not line up with what we believe to be God. We have that sensing inside that what we are looking at, or what we are hearing is just not God and we often can't put our finger on it so we may go with the flow and the flow may just not be God. It is not a time for judgement against other brothers or sisters in Christ. It is not a time for suspicion or caution based upon our feelings or emotions. It is a time for discernment and wisdom to arise in the Body of Christ by the Spirit of God within us. When we see and realize that what we are seeing is not of God, we stand in discernment and wait in wisdom. We speak as the Holy Spirit gives us utterance but never to attack or judge in self-righteousness for it is only there by the grace of God that we ourselves walk.

Why is this my topic of the day? Well, as I have been studying and reading this morning I have seen that many many Christians consistently get 'caught up' in a flow of this or a movement of this but take no personal responsibility to mature in Christ. Maturity feeds not on milk but on solid food. It then gives us a diet of a sure foundation in Christ. NOT a religious foundation that speaks without an experiential knowledge but in a foundation that is real in our lives. After walking with Him and talking with Him, through prayer and worship and study, our lives are formed in Christ Jesus and flows in Him and with Him and through Him. In that place we have embarked on a continual journey of maturity that takes us from glory to glory and from faith to faith. Maturity is a process while the immature seem to stay anchored in a current state of flow with whatever the wind brings. I do not want to be like this and  pray each day that God gives me discernment and wisdom in each situation that I encounter.

For too long I went to revivals and conferences over the past years and just went with the flow at times and at times felt uncomfortable but what the heck? Everyone seemed okay with it so it must be God. Then something or should I say someone clicked in me with light and life where I discerned that so much of what I saw was rubbish. I did not want to judge but on the other hand neither did I want to enter in anymore. I allow God to deal with what is going on but as for me I am following the Spirit into a path of His way of experience on a sure foundation of the Word of God.

I don't want to proverbially throw the baby out with the bath water but neither do I want to get caught up with a current movement gone astray, or a conference mentality where divine impartation is assured one if they have hands laid on them, or a atmosphere where laughing or jerking or whatever is going on and to feel apart one may even mimic or join in to feel something. I simply can't do that anymore and years of being in the wilderness has heightened my discernment BUT also has allowed me to see that I must not judge. It is a balance achieved only by the Spirit. There is a time to talk and a time to be silent.  I am learning the difference.

A pure heart operates in discernment, not suspicion or judgement. I have spent the morning studying many things concerning the false prophetic, demonic deception, false signs and wonders. I have prayed the blood of Jesus over me and have read and watched videos and came to the conclusion that the Body of Christ is in the midst of a massive wave of deception. I am not called to judge BUT I am called to walk in discernment and wisdom.

So where does that leave me today? I am not confused, nor unstable. I am not wishy washy or unclear. I am maturing in Christ beyond that of a babe into a mature daughter of the King and sometime I have to say "Enough is enough."  We must press past all the outer props that hold us up and cause us to lean into anything other than the Lord Himself. I am not a little girl anymore but a woman of God and I say no to many things for I want Him and Him alone. Don't you? I say yes, I believe you do.

These are my thoughts for the day and they are still forming. As you can see, I have not arrived nor will I ever arrive I am in process and enjoying the journey of walking in the light as He is in the light. I am without fear or confusion but walking in the clarity of my convictions which are formed on my understanding of His Word while leaning into the experiences that come by way from God alone. I love my life in Christ and maturity feels good for it allows me to be ME while walking in unity with those around me, even when they disagree with me. It is my goal to follow Christ.........He leads the way.  I follow. Selah and a smile. :)

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Debra,
    A great word! Very timely for me..as it brought encouragement in a particular situation I find myself in.. To trust the discernment God has given me in it..."Stand in Discernment and wait in Wisdom."Great teaching..Thanks for sharing..God spoke to me today through you..
    Blessings, Drema

    ReplyDelete