Sunday, October 3, 2010

New Day - No Hype

Thinking this morning about the simplicity of Christ. Does it all have to be so complex? How to say this? Hype is the fuel that empowers so much of what I see in the church at large. For instance, I recently bought a book that I loved and realized that it had only one endorsement in the front of this book. The book spoke for itself, or rather I should say, Jesus spoke through the author of this book without any fanfare or hype.

Yet I also have bought books where there were page after page of endorsments trying to convince me that this book would be the end all, be all to my Christian experience. Sadly it was not. The hype that surrounded it diluted the true value of the book. Was it good? Perhaps but it was not as superlative in nature as the hype that surrounded it.

So back to simplicity..................Jesus did not announce Himslef. The heavens backed Him up, the Father's voice proclaimed Him, and His sound of TRUTH went before Him.

So my question.......why are we trying so hard?

It is because it is all about US a lot and not Him and when that is true, we end up believing our own press and that is dangerous. Very dangerous. I refuse to submit to anything that say I need this or that or this or that for my Christianity to be enhanced. I only need Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment